Monday, November 12, 2012

TLLP 2013-2014

My friend Daniella and I have decided to try for another TLLP grant.  We are interested in using graphic texts like graphic novels and comic books in the High School classroom.

The idea of using more graphic texts has been floating around in my mind for a couple of years.  I love graphic novels and comics.  Daniella's son loves them as well.  What really made me see the potential of using graphic novels was an incident that happened in my grade 10 Applied class a few weeks ago.  We read every day at the beginning of class and I have a student who was a pretty reluctant reader.  Then, I gave him Amulet, a graphic novel by Kazu Kibuishi.  He cannot put it down.  He is on Book 4 now.  I think this might be the way to get more students engaged in class.

I have read a bit about teaching using comic but we need time and money to get the project going.  Enter the Teacher Learning and Leadership Program through the Ministry of Education.  I am excited about it.  We have asked for both digital and print texts and some iPad Minis to deliver the digital portion.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-12735425-6