Friday, June 25, 2010

A year of literacy support: how it looks at the end of the ride

Well, I am new to the "literacy game" and thankfully, this is my first, last and only year as Literacy Support Teacher. The process has been a challenging one, a discouraging one.

The preliminary scores are in, so it seems like a good time to begin to organize my thoughts about my role in the process. The results are confidential at this point, but I don't think I am giving too much away to say that not every student passed.

What does this mean to me, or more importantly, about me? It means that there were students that I was not able to help. They were not successful so, was I?

Maybe all kids can't pass? I know they can't. But, I hate the fact.

Maybe the idea that we can fix literacy deficiencies in Grade 10 is ludicrous?

Maybe teaching to the test without the building underlying literacy skills is a waste? (I think our board and school plan addresses both test preparation and literacy building but what the hell do I know?)

Maybe this shows my own inadequacies? It feels like it does.

A lot of maybes and one discouraged teacher.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-12735425-6