Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Flipping my classroom

I recently bought a book called Flip Your Classroom. It is a great, short book about the reasons for flipping your classroom and how to go about it. Flipping your classroom is basically having students learn concepts at home (using videos made by teachers) and then using class time to master the concepts with the teacher acting as a mentor and guide during the mastery time.

  

I highly recommend the book.  The authors recommend using Camtasia to record your videos.  I have been using Jing (TechSmith) for years and Camtasia is a more sophisticated program by the same people.  I am currently using the free trial but I love it and will be purchasing it when I buy my new laptop in a few weeks (my last laptop was stolen from school and it turns out that neither the school's insurance nor ours will cover the loss - so sad).

If you are not ready to pay for a program, Jing is free and does a great job at recording your audio and recording your screen. You only have 5 minutes in the free version but you can get a lot done in 5 minutes of screencasting.  I love it but I am ready for something more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-12735425-6